Effects of Gaming Info Sheet - Free Member Download!
Eye Deserve More, a multi-year national campaign from the American Optometric Association (AOA), takes a stand that every American deserves in-person comprehensive care from an AOA doctor of optometry as part of their eye and overall health and wellbeing. With gaming and screen time on the rise, so is the risk of screen-related eye issues. So this year, Eye Deserve More wants to help Americans do all of the gaming, streaming, and scrolling they love – by keeping their eyes healthy IRL (in real life).
Take a look at the campaign’s key messaging below. The Effects of gaming info sheet (pictured at left) can be downloaded for use in your own office.
- In-person quality care is something we should all expect as an essential part of our health and wellbeing. Whether you’re a pro gamer, Twitch streamer, casual scroller, someone who spends all day working at the computer – it is critical that you see a doctor of optometry in person every year and adapt healthy gaming and screen time habits (e.g. 20-20-20 rule, changing device settings, etc.) to maintain optimal eye health.
- Doctors of optometry are the leaders in primary eye health care, helping patients and their families take the first step towards healthier eyes and bodies by examining, diagnosing, treating, and managing diseases and disorders of the eye.
- Long hours of screen time can cause vision problems in the long run – problems that may affect your ability to enjoy gaming or scrolling in the future – which is why it’s important to adapt healthy screen time habits.
- Through an eye exam, doctors of optometry can identify early warning signs and manifestations of more than 270 systemic and chronic diseases including diabetes, high blood pressure, autoimmune diseases and cancers.
- Eye Deserve More: All Americans deserve more than computer-generated prescriptions or crowdsourced care. We deserve the human connection and care we get from the eye health and vision care that AOA doctors of optometry deliver.